Wednesday 12 October 2011

September 27th

Much food and many drinks devoured
Much hard work and long man hours
Went in to making this place home
And today I return from my short roam
The walls mostly intact and unchanged
Just the furniture vaguely rearranged
New sofa's and paint work make it look the part
Big screens replaced by replicated art
The jukebox replaced by vacuous music
Walls removed for better acoustics
Large mirrors to make the place look bigger
Wines replace the cask ales and bitter
But with all these changes they can’t take away
The good times we shared back in the day,
The façade is more tidy, the finish more clean
Extra seating now replacing the fruit machine
Wooden flooring finished in an antique maple
Is visible after removing the pool table
The sound of the nice regular’s laughter
I can still hear echoing through the rafters
And friendships made from open to close
Flooding back as they juxtapose
It’s started me off on my working way
And it'll now always be a little passé
Best wishes to all keep in fine fettle
I raise a glass to the Spyglass and Kettle

No comments:

Post a Comment