Tuesday 27 September 2011

September 16th

As another birthday of mine approaches
And responsibility yet again encroaches
I’m accounting for myself and taking stock
And recounting the minutes of my life’s clock
When I was a child full of frivolity
Oblivious to class, division or quality
Happiness came from kicking a ball
And waiting for my mother’s call
And weekends were taken up
By watching the league or F.A Cup
My innocent like hot air balloons
Drifted away from sunny afternoons
Now I’m chatting about profit and yield
But wanting to hide in a big cornfield
And when be told about new selling techniques
I want to be off school for six long weeks
No internet and no mobile phone
Just Mum to tell us what time to be home
No concerns about price inflation
Just unbridled procrastination
When did those times disappear?
Around the same time as finding beer
Then weekends changed from win or lose
To drinking pints of unnameable booze
Alongside the drinks I was discovering
I learnt that Sundays were for recovering
Woken up only for Full Monty and toast
Then back bed until Sunday roast
Those were the days, the days were mine
Cheered up whenever I think of that time
So kids, hear your folks when they say
These are the greatest of all days

No comments:

Post a Comment