Monday 27 June 2011

June 17th

If my friends were here, what would they say?
How would they react to how I’ve spent my day?
Tommy would say that I’ve become quiet productive
That I’ve done well not to be tele-visually corrupted
You should turn your book into a feature
And tell how writing is a fearsome creature
But with commitment and persistence
Your raise your profile and your confidence
You can do anything if you put your mind to it
Just make sure you get out and do it
Make sure you have plans and goals set
Don’t look back and have any regrets
So I’ll take the words that Tommy said
Even though they were in my head
Then I’ll move on to little Tom
Who’ll tell me with some aplomb
To go out and speak to writers alike
And try my poetry on an open mic
To just do it and not be afraid
To go and throw my poem grenade
You can never say that the others are bad
At least they’ve taken the chances they’ve had
If you want your writing to become universal
Then you’ll have to get out and stop being anti-social
So you can declare yourself the people’s poet
If you don’t tell the people then the people won’t know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment