Wednesday 6 July 2011

July 5th

I remember how it was before
The kids down the street, the people next door
I remember the house I grew up in
A place of warmth and love genuine
I remember long summers being always outside
The earliest friends in whom we’d confide
I remember it well and think of it fondly
And think of the impact it had upon me
I remember the long nights of adolescence
Watching my childhood become evanescent
I remember it all in so many ways
I’m clinging on to my yesterdays
I returned to my home which is now just a house
See the cornfields the pheasants and grouse
I’ve returned to the place where I was that kid
I retraced my footsteps of the things that I did
I’ve returned and the parks are still there
The kids still play innocent and unaware
I’ve returned to the place that I chipped my tooth
In a vain attempt to recapture my youth
I’ve returned to absorb that freedom again
Similar feeling but somehow not the same
I’ve returned but my friends have moved on
Fixtures the same but the feelings have gone
I’ve returned to help me visualise
To try and keep my memories alive

No comments:

Post a Comment